« Back to Policy Directory
Steamboat Springs Transit
Per Federal DOT regulations and the city employee handbook, all employees must report to work and perform their duties without being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or having their ability to work impaired as a result of using drugs, or alcohol on or off duty.
- All drug and alcohol information herein shall defer to the City of Steamboat Springs Drug and Alcohol Policy and Information Manual.
- All safety sensitive employees (all SST staff) are subject to pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion, post-accident, return-to-duty and follow-up drug and/or alcohol testing.
- In the case of prescription drugs, it is the employee’s responsibility to notify the Transit office after talking to their doctor and prior to reporting for duty when a doctor prescribes medication that may in any way affect their ability to perform their duties.
- Marijuana is a controlled substance under federal law (including Federal Transit Administration). Therefore, it is illegal to consume marijuana in any form while employed by Steamboat Springs Transit, regardless of Colorado law.
- City of Steamboat Springs policy is that consumption of marijuana in all forms is illegal under federal law and therefore it is against city policy for employees to use marijuana in any form.
- Employees are not to consume, or have drugs or alcohol in their possession, including on their person, while on duty or on a break during the work day.
- If employees are under the influence of alcohol or drugs while on duty, they are subject to disciplinary actions or termination as specified in the city employee handbook.
- Employees may “self-report” problems with drug or alcohol use/abuse and will not be subject to federal consequences. However, self-reporting cannot be used to avoid federally regulated drug or alcohol testing. Employees who self-report will be removed from safety sensitive duties until necessary drug tests results are returned. The employee may not receive pay for this time.
- See chapter 7 of the city employee handbook for all city policies for employee conduct.
Steamboat Springs Transit Item (E) Date: 8/9/2018