« Back to Policy Directory
Steamboat Springs Transit
|The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
allows people with disabilities to have a
service animal with them while out in public
- SST policy is states that no pets are allowed inside the bus, unless they are in an approved pet carrier.
- ADA requires transit agencies to allow service animals inside the bus.
- Drivers should say two things… “We do not allow pets on the bus”. If the response is that the animal is a service animal, the driver can ask “What service is the animal providing.”
- We cannot question anyone’s disability. However emotional support is not covered by ADA (Therapy dogs are for emotional support and Therapy dogs are not allowed in a transit bus).
- Once a service animal boards the bus, watch the animal’s behavior. A
service animal is trained to provide a service or to do a task for its owner. The animal is at work, and should be working the entire time it is on the bus. There should be no barking, no eating, and the animal is on a leash or under the direct control of the owner at all times.
- If a service animal is not behaving accordingly the passenger can be asked to leave the bus. It is important to be clear that the animal is not allowed on the bus, the passenger is always allowed on the bus.