Drivers must utilize manufacturer suggested procedures for proper securement of wheelchairs to ensure the safety of all passengers and themselves.
- The driver shall ensure that any client not riding in a permanent fixed seat shall be in a wheelchair device and safely secured using existing clamp and/or floor mount securement devices in a way consistent with recognized securing standards.
- Wheelchairs shall be secured with 4-point tie downs or as many are standard for that particular tie down system, in any combination of straps and/or clamps.
- All wheelchair clients shall be secured in a forward facing manner. Side facing securement is prohibited.
- Power chairs and scooters are to be turned off during transport.
- Wheel brakes shall be engaged during transport.
- Wheelchairs that cannot be secured or are larger than maximum allowable standards (30” w X 48” l, and not over 600 pounds combined total weight) shall not be transported.