The Town of Snowmass Village
Section 4 – Policies: Charter Bus Service Provision
Village Shuttle provides fixed-route and demand response transportation for members of the
general public. The Village Shuttle will not provide any Charter Bus service with FTA or State grant
Charter service is defined as:
- Transportation provided by a FTA sub-recipient at the request of a third party for the
exclusive use of a bus or van for a negotiated price. The following features may be
characteristic of charter service:
- A third party pays the transit provider a negotiated price for the group.
- Any fares charged to individual members of the group are collected by a third party.
- The service is not part of regularly scheduled service, or is offered for a limited period.
- A third party determines the origin and destination of the trip as well as scheduling.
- Transportation provided by a FTA sub-recipient to the public for events or functions that occur on an irregular basis or for a limited duration and:
- A premium fare is charged greater than the usual or customary fixed route fare; or,
- The service is paid for in whole or in part by a third party.
- Charter service hours mean total hours operated by buses or vans while in charter service
- Hours operated while carrying passengers for hire, plus
- Associated deadhead hours.
Charter service does not include demand response service to individuals. The Charter Service rule
provides for limited exemptions for transporting employees for training, for engaging in
emergency response training, and limited (<80 hours annually) transportation of elected officials.
Should Village Shuttle provide services under these exceptions, such service will be documented
in accordance with FTA and CDOT requirements.
Village Shuttle transportation is provided seasonally for many town sponsored events such as the
Balloon Fest and Fanny Hill Concerts. This service is provided on a fixed route basis and is
publicized in the winter and summer service schedules as open to the general public, and fare
free. Therefore, these services are not considered charter service.