Southern Ute Community Action Programs (SUCAP)
Section 4 – Backing Vehicle: Avoid Backing At All Times
Drivers must carefully approach all stops and avoid getting themselves into situations that will require backing.
- Do not back a vehicle unless it is absolutely necessary. Only after you have gotten out and checked behind your vehicle and are sure that such movement can be made without endangering pedestrians, other vehicles, or a stationary object may you back up. You will be held responsible for any damages or injuries incurred when backing the vehicle.
- Emergency hazard lights must be used when backing a bus.
- Do not back up further than absolutely necessary.
- When backing, full attention must be to the rear of the vehicle until the vehicle has completed the backing maneuver. Glance foreword occasionally to monitor traffic.
- Do not accelerate while backing. Idle with your foot covering the brake. Your foot should not be on the accelerator at all, unless backing uphill.