Gunnison Valley RTA Public Transportation
Gunnison Valley Transportation Authority (RTA) Procurement Policies and Standards/Costing & Pricing – Independent Cost Estimates
Departments must perform a cost or price analysis in connection with every procurement action, including contract modifications. The method and degree of analysis is dependent on the facts surrounding the particular procurement situation (FTA Circular 4420.1E Sec.10). Departments must make independent estimates before receiving bids or proposals. These estimates may be obtained from published competitive prices, results of competitive procurements, historical prices and trends, or by Purchasing Department estimates or outside estimators.
The Cost and Price Analysis Form must be completed prior to issuing any solicitation.
- A cost analysis must be performed when the offeror is required to submit the elements (i.e.,Labor Hours, Overhead, Materials, etc.) of the estimated cost, e.g., under professional consulting and architectural and engineering services contracts.
- A cost analysis will be necessary when adequate price competition is lacking and for sole source procurements, including contract modifications or change orders, unless price reasonableness can be established on the basis of a catalog or market price of a commercial product sold in substantial quantities to the general public or on the basis of prices set by law or regulation.
- Price Analysis
- A price analysis may be used in all other instances to determine the reasonableness of the proposed contract price.
- Departments will negotiate profit as a separate element of the price for each contract in which there is no price competition and in all cases where cost analysis is performed.
- To establish a fair and reasonable profit, consideration will be given to the complexity of the work to be performed, the risk borne by the contractor, the contractor’s investment, the amount of subcontracting, the quality of its record of past performance, and industry profit rates in the surrounding geographical area for similar work.